Saturday, January 8, 2011

Styrofoam Snowmen Ornaments

One of the little craft projects I completed recently was for my sister's birthday back in October - yes, and I'm only now getting around to posting this...

Among the bins of crafting supplies I purchased from our neighbor's yard sale for a song back in March was a little ziploc bag of Styrofoam balls. 'What am I going to do with these?' ...that was my first thought, but I stashed them away just in case...

My sister loves snowmen...and that's where the inspiration for these came from! Once I had the idea, the making of the snowmen was very simple.

Using tacky glue, I glued the balls together. Once those were dry, I glued on tiny black plastic seed beads for the eyes, mouth, and buttons, and colored the ends of toothpicks with an orange marker for the carrot noses. I made the hats, mittens and scarves in her favorite colors - orange, pink, and green. I drew out the mitten pattern freehand and used metallic cord for the arms, adding gold sequins for decoration. For two of the scarves, I used ribbon, and since I didn't have orange ribbon, I braided different shades of orange yarn for the third. I used embroidery floss for the hanging strings. Little ribbon rosettes from a headband project I did last year added a cute finishing touch.


And my sister loved them! Better yet...they're hanging in our downstairs windows right now! :)


No comments: