Saturday, January 29, 2011

Introducing...

My two new sewing machines!!!


Welcome Singer 1! I got a great deal on it at our local thrift store on Tuesday. It's not one I would have chosen had I been choosing a new one, but I'm thankful for this nice, affordable machine the Lord gave me. I've been running it, and, though it has a few minor issues and just needs a general tune-up, it's a great machine, and a fantastic answer to prayer. It's just a little older than Mommy's machine, which has previously been our only machine and the one I'd been using for everything. It is a workhorse of a machine, but I'm hoping it will serve me well for many years to come! As a bonus, it even came with it's white singer case and a spool of thread and threaded bobbin. (And yes, if you'd like to know something new about me, I do name my machines and this one is yet unnamed...)


A view from the top


And, welcome Singer 2! Yes, there is a story behind the purchase of this machine. I found it tucked away in the back corner of our quaint little thrift store, with a pile of other things on top and couldn't find a price. As I love old machines, I found a couple employees there who brought it out and find the price sticker for $75. The lady very kindly offered it to me for $25 and I accepted. Upon opening it, we discovered there was no cord and foot pedal - that was a big disappointment as I couldn't pay that price without knowing that it runs well. The man went to the back to see if he could find the cord; he couldn't find it, but brought back Singer 1 and offered me this one for $10 - a good price for the table.
And the conclusion? I've done some research on this machine and ordered a cord and foot pedal which should arrive early next week. From there I'll determine what to do with it. If it doesn't work, I may just hold onto it for now or let my little brothers take it apart. If it does work, I'll determine whether it's worth refurbishing. I've already found a bunch of the main parts for it on the website I ordered the power cord from. Needless to say, I'm very excited. I love vintage machines and would be delighted to have this one in working condition. It wouldn't be my main workhorse, but would be a great backup machine and a much-needed accessory for the sewing class I'll be teaching soon.
Once I get the cord, I'll update!


Even if for nothing else, the table is beautiful! You can't see it in this picture, but it has a larger leaf that opens up to the left, and a cute, functional accessory drawer to the left of the machine. I'm looking into putting Singer 1 into this table if this machine doesn't run.

No comments: