Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Applique Onesies

In spite of a very busy schedule lately, I had some time to sit down to the sewing machine and finish these cute little onesies for the Boutique.

I recently discovered Steam-A-Seam 2! For those of you who haven't heard of it before, it's double-sided fusible interfacing, and it makes doing appliques so much easier, and finished result looks so much neater and professional. It's really easy to use too- cut out your fabric shape, peel off the paper, and position your fabric applique on the sticky side. Cut it out, and decide how you want to position your applique on the onesie (or anything else!). Once you've decided how you'd like it to go on, peel off the paper on the other side, and stick it to the shirt. Iron as you do normal fusible interfacing. It doesn't adhere extremely well, so I wouldn't recommend leaving it un-stitched on children's clothing. You'll see in the pictures below that I've done two types of applique, both adorable on children's clothing - the tight zig-zag stitch all around the border, and the straight stitch around the edge that allows the applique to fray softly to the stitching line.




And the fabrics? All came from my stash! I really enjoy having a fabric stash large enough to find what I'm looking for when inspiration for a new project hits!

No comments: