Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Tale of Two Treadles - Episode 3

So what's happened to Treadle 1? I was able to get back to it today and found it in awful shape. Before, I could move the needle by yanking on the wheel until it made another half-rotation and I'd have to yank it around again to finish the motion of the needle, but today there was no response and the wheel spun freely without turning the needle. The main shaft seems to be locked.

This one's pretty too, but has some really rusty spots and has definitely seen better days

The main shaft is supposed to turn at the line indicated by the red arrow


And the end of the story is? ...this beauty is now mine to clear the rest of the payment due from fixing up Treadle 2. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it, but it's mine. :)

I'm exploring several options. One is to save what I can use for parts for other machines and get rid of the rest. The other is to do some restoration. Maybe not quite as drastic as on this fun blog I read, but maybe some of the Evapo-Rust and some strategic new finish might help. We'll see...I've set it aside for now. It's a project that can wait till later and I've got some fun sewing and craft project posts coming up soon.

No comments: