Friday, April 22, 2011

Sewing Machine # 3

Yes, that's right! A friend at church was giving away a vintage sewing machine in its table and I snatched it up. It's a Sears Kenmore Model 14 from sometime in the '60's. How well it runs is another matter as I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it is on the priority list for this afternoon.


The pictures don't do it justice as the olive green wall washes out the mint green of the machine. :)


It came with the manual, bobbins, and a number of attachments I don't even know the names of, all in great vintage condition!


A closeup of the machine


Look, it's even one of those ones with the belt on the outside! Not even Singer 2, my other vintage machine, has that.

2 comments:

feathersofhope said...

Hi I just found my aunt's old sewing machine, and it looks just like yours. I've used a modern sewing machine before, but I can't figure this one out., and there was no user manual. Can you tell me if this machine is supposed to have a foot peddle, or am I supposed to do something with the lever that hangs down from the table? Also, I can't get the thread take up lever to move. Should it move?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated?
Thanks!
Heidi

Gabrielle Hellwig said...

Hello Heidi,

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Your machine should have a foot pedal with it, just like modern sewing machines. In the first picture, you should be able to see the cord of mine coming down from under the table. Do you have a lever on the inside right of the table? I have another machine that came in a table that had that. My best guess is that it wasn't the original machine in the table and the lever is left over from the previous occupant.
The thread take up lever should move. If it doesn't, it's either broken (not so likely on these older machines that are all metal), or just dry and stuck (likely the case if the machine has been sitting unused for some time. It will take some oil and working the handwheel to loosen it up if it's just stuck.
I'm certainly not a pro at fixing these old machines, but I'd be glad to help you out as best I can! If you'd like, shoot me an email at gabrielleDOThellwigATgmailDOTcom and I'd be glad to answer questions!

Hope that helps!
Gabrielle