Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Singer Repair Adventure: Cleaning and Greasing

*Oops, it looks like this one somehow got into draft form and didn't get published. This is supposed to be prior to the previous post about the machine.

I believe some progress was made today on the machine.

Here's a good look at the inside of my machine. Fascinating, isn't it?!

A closeup of the two main gears - the big white plastic one and that smaller reddish one at the far right of the picture. I cleaned quite a bit of that red goo off these gears today. Unfortunately, before I received the information to spray the insides with sewing machine oil and not WD-40, I used a liberal amount of WD-40 on it. At least I'll try not to put any more in and hope Walmart has sewing machine oil.
The WD-40 seems to have helped, though. The side wheel turns much more easily, and though there's still some "stickiness", it seems better.

These are the two controls that the red goo had leaked out onto. They look a lot better cleaned.

I also disassembled and cleaned the bobbin area. Sadly, I forgot to get 'before' pictures, but here's the after. There's a big improvement!

No comments: