Monday, February 7, 2011

Sewing machine oil is my friend...

Yes, I was a little incredulous at the idea of its magical properties at first, but I decided to give it a try. I couldn't possibly have much to lose.

To quote from the wonderful advice given me: 'Sewing machine oil is your friend. Use heartily and with liberal joy.'

I picked up the closest thing I could find on our next run to Walmart, Singer all-purpose mechanical oil for sewing machines, vacuum cleaners, and the like. I applied it to the inside of Singer 2 'heartily and with liberal joy'; so heartily, in fact, that it came dripping slowly back out over the next two days. :) I cleaned the contact plates of the plug on the cord and the outlet in the machine and knocked it in with a hammer so it would stay. Trying to put a new cord into an old machine hadn't been working so well.

...And I let it sit that way for two days - to be exact...And yesterday afternoon, when I turned it on, it ran perfectly on both the slow and fast settings! There is pretty much no trace of the "catch" when I turn the wheel, but I'm still concerned that it could be hard on the motor, so I'm hoping to talk to someone at Sew-n-Vac soon and see if I should bring it in anyways. The machine runs beautifully and is surprisingly quiet too!


As an aside, a friend of mine, who even shares my name, featured one of my baby beanies in the Shoppe in a recent post on her blog! Do be sure to check it out. Thank you, Gabrielle!

2 comments:

Janel said...

Fabulous! : D

I would let it set a couple more days. If the catch mostly dissolved in 2, that probably means there's more gunk in there to dissolve. I would let it be until the weekend. Adding a little fresh oil wouldn't hurt...

If you can't feel the catch or it's moving smoothly, it shouldn't hurt the motor.

Gaby said...

You are welcome, Gabrielle!